Thursday, April 12, 2007

Soul to Soul, and Sole to Sole | RIP Kurt Vonnegut (1922-2007)

I'm late on reporting this, as I actually heard it on the radio around 7:30am this morning, but for anyone who might have missed this ... Kurt Vonnegut is dead at the age of 84. You can go ahead and scour the 'net for reports. Here are a few to get you started: The word "author" seems almost inadequate to ascribe to Mr. Vonnegut, though he was many a person's favorite writer. His works touched upon social commentary (or criticism) and science fiction with a flare of the autobiographical tossed in for good measure. I first encountered his wit and mischevious style in Slaughterhouse-Five -- based on his own experience of the bombing of Dresden during WWII -- and Cat's Cradle -- a rapidfire story that pokes fun at technology and religion while satirizing the arms race (remember Boku Maru and Ice 9?). Both of which I read for a class on American humor in literature. I do admit to being woefully behind in reading Vonnegut's more recent works, but will still claim these two books as my favorite works by him. Vonnegut was a self-professed pessimist, and probably something along the lines of a radical humanist ;) . And we are all the poorer for the loss of his light and insight in this world. Wherever ya are, Kurt (for I realize you probably did not give much thought to an afterlife, particularly one of the Christian persuasion), I wish you well. I would like to imagine that you are in an honored seat, drinking and boasting with whatever Gods will have you.

No comments: