Friday, December 19, 2014

Friday 80s Flashback for December 19, 2014

Rex and Herb, the Hosts of A Claymation Christmas Celebration 


[The One with the Doo-Wop Camels] -- The Winter Solstice is upon us and Christmas Eve is just a few days away. Oh! And our TVs are alive with holiday movies nearly 24/7. As I came of age during the 80s in Small Town, USA, Christmas TV specials were a huge part of my personal history. Now, most of the TV specials I recall from my youth were originally broadcast in the 70s. This is a fact that became only more apparent to me as I went digging for a show to blog about in this week's Flashback post. As much as I love Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas, for example, it premiered in 1978. So I can't use it here ... unless I want to talk about its network TV debut in 1980 (I don't).

However, I do recall a fantastic Christmas Special from the 80s, one that had top-notch musical performances: A Claymation Christmas Celebration. Hosted by a pair of very Siskel and Ebert-esque dinosaurs, Rex and Herb, A Claymation Christmas Celebration featured an entire cast made out of clay! They jawed back and forth while they introduce videos of Christmas carols and standards. To date, it is still the only Christmas show starring dinosaurs. Let's look at a few performances from the show!

Flashback #1"Star of wonder, star of night."

In the special, "We Three Kings" was performed by the a trio of Wise Men and their camels, who stole the show by singing the chorus in doo-wop fashion. And would you check out the eyebrows on those beasts!




Flashback #2: (Instrumental)

Watch as Maestro Quasimodo directs The Paris Bell-Harmonic in a rendition of, appropriately enough, "Carol of the Bells." The performers are actually bells who have to hit themselves in their heads to ring out their notes. Of course, in the category of "there's one in every group," the Paris Bell-Harmonic features quite the ... dumb-bell.




Flashback #3"They never let Rudolph play any reindeer games."

No claymation group in the 80s was bigger than the California Raisins. So, of course, they were a featured act in the Claymation Christmas Celebration. Here they are singing "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer" -- in their finest Temptations fashion -- after they missed the last bus on Christmas Eve.




Once again, I remind you that the rule of three applies when doing Flashbacks. As I've made my three offerings, that's all till next week. Dedicated 80s-philes can find more flashbacks in the archives. As always, your comments are welcome on today's, or any other, flashback post. And if you like what I'm doing here, please share the link with your friends. If, however, you don't like the flashback, feel free to share it with your enemies.

And if you are on Twitter, and feel so inclined, please +K my influence in Music on @klout.

I'll see you in seven!

No comments: