Friday, November 12, 2010

Friday 80s Flashback for November 12, 2010

[In the Spirit] -- Due to this being tech week at Montgomery Theater ("Half and Half" opens this weekend), and the fact that I am leaving Friday afternoon to attend a conference, I'm rather short on time to compile a Flashback. So, please forgive me if my recollections are shorter than usual. Now, the conference I am attending is for interfaith ministers, so I thought I might take the flashback in a spiritual direction. But don't worry: I'm not pulling hymns from the 1580s.

Read and hear more after the jump.



Flashback #1
: "Give me love | Give me hope | Give me strength | Give me someone to live for."  Maybe it seems odd to feature this 1985 single from the Alarm during a spiritual song flashback rather than one for political protest tunes. But I have always found this song to be both inspiring and humbling, a dichotomy that reflects the nature of soul and flesh.




Flashback #2
: "I expect to find [God] laughing." Is anything more familiar to the spiritual seeker than blasphemy or doubt? In 1984, Depeche Mode released "Blasphemous Rumors," a song about God having a sick sense of humor. Well, humans do exhibit a sick sense of humor on occasion, and it must have come from somewhere. So, if we are made in the image of one God -- or we are the descendants of elder Gods and Goddesses -- surely we can attribute this sense of humor as part of our inheritance.




Flashback #3
: Our final flashback this week will really get your blood pumping. Queen first recorded this tune in 1985 and then released it on A Kind of Magic (1986). Considering that my weekend conference is for interfaith clergy, I feel this song's lyrical content to be most apt. I may no longer personally hold to a belief in "One flesh one bone, one true religion," but I do like to look forward to hope and unity. Plus, I still like to bounce around the room when I hear Freddy Mercury singing it.



There you are, 80s-philes, a brief but powerful set of three flashbacks. And you know what I say about the rule of three! See you next week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The third message from heaven...
If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Brainwise said...

I take it ol' Pete is not a fan of 80s music? Or at least not a fan of this week's selections?