Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday 80s Flashback for September 17, 2010

Another Friday, another round of Friday 80s Flashbacks. Today we have two hard-rocking bands (one long-lived, the other not so much) and a vanguard of the New Wave British Invasion. Click to read, and hear, more.



Flashback #1
: Queen was on my mind this morning because I read that Sacha Baron Cohen will play Freddie Mercury in an upcoming film. After the initial shock of that statement wore off, I decided, "I have to listen to some Queen and include them in today's flashback post." Although Queen released most of their material in the 70s (seven recordings between 1973 and 1979 versus five recordings between 1980 and 1989), they do have plenty of 80s music from which I can make a selection. And what a selection! Our first flashback today is the fist-pumping gem, "I Want It All," from The Miracle, Queen's last recording of the 80s (and the penultimate album before the Mercury's death by bronchial pneumonia resulting from AIDS). This song has everything that was great about Queen: soaring guitar, driving rhythm, and multi-tracked vocals, and stirring lyrics -- it's an anthem!



Flashback #2: I wonder how many of my readers remember Orion the Hunter? This outfit was something of an offshoot of that champion of 70s AOR, Boston. I say offshoot, but it might be closer to say that guitarist Barry Goudreau formed Orion the Hunter out of spite for being kicked out of Boston. Orion's one and only album spawned a top ten hit, "So You Ran." You will likely notice how much the Orion singer sounds like the late Brad Delp. That is to be expected as Barry likely wanted to imitate the success of his former band. The real question is: Can you find all the 80s video cliches in this clip?





Flashback #3: Let's take the tempo down a notch or two for our final Flashback of the day. "Transfer Affection" is one of my favorite songs by A Flock of Seagulls. You remember A Flock of Seagulls, right? They were a UK synthpop band founded by two hairdressers (look at the image below and guess which guys had that gig). "Transfer Affection" comes from their second LP, Listen (1983), which spawned the international hit, "Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You)." That song breached the UK Top 10, the US Billboard Hot 100, and several other markets. "Transfer Affection," however, was never released as a single. If I recall correctly, it wasn't even a b-side. But why should that prevent me from featuring it here? It won't. I feel I am doing you a service by guiding you to a lesser known song that should have received its fair share of mainstream radio play. Enjoy!





Can't have too much 80s hair, right? Here's another photo of the Flock back in their prime:


Is it me, or does that dude in the back look a bit embarrassed to be seen with the others?

No comments: