Thursday, November 25, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving (or Whatever Harvest Festival You Might Celebrate)!

Today is Thanksgiving Day here in the United States, a holiday with both secular and religious roots. I already touched upon this in my last post, but I hope you'll excuse me for the following ramble:
Today is a day for all of us to be thankful. Whether you express thanks to one god, or many, or to simply your own ability, you have a reason to be thankful. And I hope that, in some small way, you were able to share your bounty with others more in need.
I am thankful for my health, for my family (wife, parents, sister, etc.), friends, and for gainful employment. I am thankful for this moment in time, and for the opportunity to share it with others. And, yes, I am thankful for the Internet. The 'net is, of course, one of the reasons for my gainful employment and a tool for many of my hobbies -- like blogging! Oh, and since I mentioned sharing, I always try to support the local charity Philabundance and their comrade in arms at the Sunday Breakfast Rescue Mission (215-922-6400) with financial donations. The SBRM has a decidedly Christian slant, but you don't have to support that aspect if it bothers you; you can specify to have your entire donation go to food. If anyone knows of some good pagan/heathen charities in the Delaware Valley, please let me know!

No comments: