Wednesday, January 10, 2007

"No English on this Bus!"

Now here is something that just makes me cranky. I mean, I hate the fact that most ATMs in the US force you to "Please select a language" before you can start working with it. Yes, I understand that we are in a global economy, and that the folks behind the ATM software just might be trying to more easily sell there wares overseas. But I feel that in America, the default should simply be English, with an option to pick another language should there be a need for it. I suppose I should just be happy that the machine's language query is in English ... and that my bank has not designated any machines for non-English speaking customers only. Yeesh!
Kids kicked off a bus for speaking English Updated: 01/10/2007 11:24:52 AM

Imagine sending your kids off to school, but when they get to the bus they are told they can't get on because they speak English. That's right, English. It happened to a few children in St. Paul and now the school district is apologizing. Rachel Armstrong sent her kids to pick up the bus as usual Monday, but after the driver let the kids on, he told them he would not pick them up again. He even said he wouldn't take them home that afternoon. Armstrong left work early Tuesday, forced to pick up her kids from Phalen Lake Elementary School. Her twin girls, 10, and her son, 8, were kicked off their regular school bus. They were told by the bus driver the route is for non-English speaking students only. "I was furious. I was at work and I was just mad." Armstrong said. "I felt like we were being discriminated because we speak English. Just because they speak English, they can't ride the school bus. I mean, this is America, right?" Administrators at St. Paul Public Schools admit the district made a mistake when it stranded the kids at school Monday...

[ Full Story ]

No comments: