Friday, February 06, 2015

Friday 80s Flashback for February 6, 2015



[The Final Punchout] -- Continuing with the concept of "This week in 1981" (or 1987), we have the top three songs for the week ending February 7, 1981. Now, here in 2015, this has been an interesting week for me. You see, last week I learned a new business phrase: RIF. It stands for "reduction in force." This week, I experienced RIF personally. My position was eliminated and I am, for the first time since I graduated from college, unemployed. I punched out for last time (metaphorically speaking, of course, because I haven't used a punchcard since 1988)! How interesting, then, that this week's songs deal with happy situations. And, for added personal irony, I should point out that the #4 song this week in 1981 was Dolly Parton's "9 to 5" (hours I am not currently working). If you want to know what songs charted above "9 to 5," read and hear more after the break.


Flashback #1"Showers washed all my cares away | I wake up to a sunny day."

"I Love A Rainy Night" peaked at #1 on three US charts: the Billboard Hot Country Singles, Billboard Hot 100, and Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks. At this point in 1981, however, it was still climbing up the Billboard Hot 100, and it had just made the move from #4 to #3. And I like the message of this song, loving a rainy night as something that washes away the bad so you can "wake up to a sunny day." Perhaps I can take on this attitude and let the rain (or the recent snow storms for that matter) wash away any negativity associated with this time of change I am experiencing. I will soon wake to a new and sunny milestone in my career!




Flashback #2"Every girl wants you to be her man | But I'll wait my dear 'til it's my turn."

Originally written in 1967 by John Holt -- who then performed it with the Jamaican group The Paragons -- "The Tide Is High" didn't register on any charts. At least it didn't until Blondie recorded it for their 1980 album, Autoamerican. It peaked at #1, but at this point in 1981, it had slipped down to the #2 slot, so it already on its way back down the charts. I don't have a clever way to work this song into my RIF theme, so we'll just consider it something of a break for station identification in this week's post. Anyway, the official music video below has some sweet (for the 80s) video animation work. But you should also check out Deborah Harry singing this song on Solid Gold she's definitely not lip syncing!).




Flashback #3"Let's all celebrate and have a good time."

Between January 31 and February 7, 1981, Kook & the Gang jumped from #3 to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 with "Celebration." It seems a bit odd that I am grooving to a song about celebrating good times when I am, at present, no longer gainfully employed. However, I had been looking to get out of that job, so my current situation is something of a gift. As long as it doesn't last too long, that is. Besides, how can you feel down when these guys are getting down? A little pop funk to lift me out of my unemployment funk? Yes, please! And ... check out the fancy footwork in their music video! 




Once again, I remind you that the rule of three applies when doing Flashbacks. As I've made my three offerings, that's all till next week. Dedicated 80s-philes can find more flashbacks in the archives. As always, your comments are welcome on today's, or any other, flashback post. And if you like what I'm doing here, please share the link with your friends. If, however, you don't like the flashback, feel free to share it with your enemies.

And if you are on Twitter, and feel so inclined, please +K my influence in Music on @klout.

I'll see you in seven!

No comments: