Friday, September 05, 2014

Friday 80s Flashback for September 5, 2014



[Unused 80s Montage Playlist - Redux] -- I'm going to be in a sling for a few more weeks. So for this week's post, I'm dipping into the archives to bring you a post from a year ago. Strangely enough, I spent much of this week preparing the sound FX for a theater production, just one set in a different era. So none of the songs below are in my current show.

------

From 9/6/2013: I spent much of this week's free time -- not that it's really "free" -- preparing a set of 80s music for the latest production at Montgomery Theater. It's for a scene in which one of the lead characters introduces a montage telling the story of getting together with her first boyfriend. First, she asks for some music to set the scene, but the song that plays is needed later, so she asks for something more upbeat. The second tune doesn't work for her either, so she requests a cheesy love song which is finally what she wants. Researching and assembling the options for this playlist left me with very little time to work on the Flashback. I don't even really haven't worked out a theme for this week. So how about I just share some of the tunes that won't be used in the show? OK? OK! Read and hear more after the break. 

Flashback #1"Days pass and this emptiness fills my heart."

Technically, I didn't have any say in selecting the first song for the aforementioned scene. It is specified in the script (plus it is used later in the show -- and that's the reason the character says not to use it in the montage). However, that particular song, "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You," is from 1991. So it doesn't work to kick off an 80s-style montage, let alone a Flashback post. So, if I were to rewrite that scene from scratch, I might choose to start with Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes." Recorded in 1985 and released as a single from Gabriel's fifth solo LP, So (1986), "Say Anything" entered the charts on 9/2/1986. It reached #1 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks and #26 on the Billboard Hot 100 within two months. It was later made famous in the trailer for and boombox scene from the 1989 movie, Say Anything. The scene is so famous, it is recognized by folks who have not even seen the movie. And if you were lucky enough to be at Gabriel's Hollywood Bowl gig last October, you would have seen John Cusack hand a boombox to Peter. So, here is the radio edit of "In Your Eyes" to kick off this week's Flashback. If you prefer a movie clip version, then go here.




Flashback #2"I can feel my body rock every time you call my name."

The second tune in this fictional montage is supposed to be "something more upbeat (wait ... is "fictional montage" redundant? I'll make a note to research that later). My first inclination was to use a song by Yello. But I quickly realized that was going more for a cheap laugh than assisting the scene. So what upbeat 80s love song to choose? Well, the character calling for the song is female, probably around 17, and still into the 80s even though the setting is 1992. Ah, how about Taylor Dane? Sure, she released a flurry of bubblegum hits in the late 80s, but the woman had serious pipes. (If you don't believe me, check out the ballad "Love Will Lead You Back"). Taylor Dane's debut single, "Tell It to My Heart," is perfect for this spot in the montage, and our Flashback. It was the title track for her first studio album released in 1988. "Tell It to My Heart" was a Top 40 hit right from the start: it entered the US Billboard Hot 100 at #43 and eventually peaked at #7, staying on the Hot 100 for a total of 26 weeks. It was a hit in the UK as well where it reached #3.




Flashback #3"I've always been the one |  Lovin' on the run."

Our final Flashback of the day anchors the montage playlist with that time-honored genre of the cheesy love song. For me, it doesn't get much cheesier than Loverboy's 1986 power ballad, "This Could Be the Night." The second single off Lovin' Every Minute of It (1985), "This Could Be the Night" made it to the top 10 of Billboard's Hot 100 singles chart, and into senior high proms across the country. Or maybe that was just my high school. I'm sure it was played at hundreds, if not thousands, of high school dances, but it was also selected as the theme for my own school's senior prom. I distinctly recall this even as I have forced most other memories of that night from my cerebral cortex. You see, the school board and other parents on the prom committee -- What? You didn't have grown ups meddling in your senior prom? Well la dee da. Anyway, the parents deemed "This Could Be the Night" as too suggestive a theme and rebranded it as "This Could Be Magic" (or, maybe, "This Night Could Be Magic" ... remember, I've purged most prom memories). However, although they changed the theme, the song with that very same title was still permitted to be played. Many times. I guess the committee felt a banner was more suggestive than hearing Mike Reno sing the words over and over and over again. Hey, Mike! Once more with feeling for the 80s-philes, please!




Once again, I remind you that the rule of three applies when doing Flashbacks. As I've made my three offerings, that's all till next week. Dedicated 80s-philes can find more flashbacks in the archives. As always, your comments are welcome on today's, or any other, flashback post. And if you like what I'm doing here, please share the link with your friends. If, however, you don't like the flashback, feel free to share it with your enemies.

And if you are on Twitter, and feel so inclined, please +K my influence in Music on @klout.

Oh, and if you have a chance, come out and see Montgomery Theater's production of "Miles and Ellie." It's a world premiere production that runs September 11 through 29!

I'll see you in seven!

No comments: