Friday, August 01, 2014

Friday 80s Flashback for August 1, 2014



[This week in 1982...] -- I am finally over the jet lag of taking the redeye home from San Diego on Wednesday morning. I am not, however, quite recovered from the end of SDCC 2014. So rather than create a theme and find three 80s songs to fit it, I've decided to simply look at what was on the top of the Billboard Hot 100 this week in 1982. Do you remember what was in the top three slots 32 years ago? Join me in a little walk down a sonic memory lane after the break!

Flashback #1"Maybe we could walk around | All day long | Walk around | All day long."

In the #3 spot 32 years ago this week, we find John Cougar's "Hurts So Good" which spent a total of 28 weeks on the charts. You should also know it spent 16 of those weeks in the top 10 and eventually peaked at the #2 position. The first of three singles off Cougar's debut album, American Fool (1982), "Hurts So Good"spent more time in the top 10 than any other song in the 80s. 




Flashback #2"All I wanna tell you is now you'll never ever have to compromise."

"Rosanna" was the opening track and the first single from Toto's 1982 album, Toto IV, and it was in the #2 spot on 7/31/82. Named for actress Rosanna Arquette, who was dating Toto keyboardist Steve Porcaro, "Rosanna" spent 23 weeks on the charts. Like "Hurts So Good," "Rosanna" peaked at #2 on the Billboard Top 100. Also like "Hurts So Good," "Rosanna" never reached the top spot. However, it did win the Record of the Year Grammy Award (1983) and it was nominated for the Song of the Year award. I'm not ashamed to say I wore out a 45 of this song as well as the Toto IV cassette. I also very nearly wore out the LP. (And, yes, I also have Toto IV on compact disc). And if it comes up on the radio or in one of my playlists, I will crank that volume and sing along at the top of my lungs. 




Flashback #3"They stack the odds still we take to the street | For the kill with the skill to survive."

And now we come to what was the #1 song on the Billboard Hot 100 this week in 1982: Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger." This was the title track and the first single off Survivor's third studio album -- and the first track on Rocky III (The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack). It spent a total of 25 weeks on the charts, finally peaking at #1 on 7/24/82 and stayed there for six weeks. "Eye of the Tiger" was written at the request of Rocky star/director, Sylvester Stallone (he apparently wanted to use Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" in his film, but he couldn't get permission for it). "Eye of the Tiger" turned out to be an airwave juggernaut, logging many appearances on both radio and MTV. Thanks to radio, MTV, and Sly Stallone's film, "Eye of the Tiger" went Platinum and is still one of the most recognized songs (and oft-parodied) songs of the 80s.




Once again, I remind you that the rule of three applies when doing Flashbacks. As I've made my three offerings, that's all till next week. Dedicated 80s-philes can find more flashbacks in the archives. As always, your comments are welcome on today's, or any other, flashback post. And if you like what I'm doing here, please share the link with your friends. If, however, you don't like the flashback, feel free to share it with your enemies.

And if you are on Twitter, and feel so inclined, please +K my influence in Music on @klout.

I'll see you in seven!

No comments: