Saturday, June 08, 2013

Friday 80s Flashback for June 7, 2013


[Be Fast, Be Clean, Be Cheap - Redux] -- I missed posting a Flashback last week. And this week really got away from me, too. So, let's flashback to a Flashback I originally posted in June of 2011. In that month, I began sharing tracks from a mixtape I made in the late 80s. We now go to that Flashback in progress ...


Another week has blown by and I barely have time for a proper Flashback. I do, however, have time to share with you the first three tracks from a compilation tape I made in the latter half of the 80s. The name of the compilation, and our theme this week, is "Be Fast, Be Clean, Be Cheap," after the song by Age of Chance. Although that tune lent its name to this week's flashback, it will not make an appearance today. I'm going with the first three songs from side A of the cassette, and "Be Fast" is track number 6. Maybe it will make an appearance in an upcoming flashback. At any rate, I'll bet you are wondering what did make the list. For that, you can read and hear more after the jump.

Look! I still own the cassette!

Star-divide

Flashback #1"What have I done today | Just sat and watched the jets fly over."

In 1987, the rock band Flesh for Lulu released their last single of the 80s, the appropriately titled "I Go Crazy," on their penultimate album of the 80s, Long Live the New Flesh. It received considerable air-play on college radio and even generated some mainstream buzz -- thanks in part to its inclusion on the soundtrack for Some Kind of Wonderful. Another well-received John Hughes film, Some Kind of Wonderful was pretty much Pretty in Pink but with the original ending -- yeah, Molly Ringwald lobbied to have her character get the preppy guy instead of Ducky at the conclusion of Pink; but in Wonderful, the misfit boy ends up with the tomboy (and best friend) after pursuing the popular girl for the bulk of the film. Now you can go crazy with this music video for "I Go Crazy."




Flashback #2: "You're so gorgeous, I'll do anything!  |  I'll kiss you from your feet to where your head begins!"

From 1979 to 1985, English mope rockers The Cure released six studio albums. Each one brilliantly basking in varying degrees of melodramatic, post-punk goodness. But, in 1987, the first single from Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me showed that Robert Smith and the boys could have bouncy fun, too. Here is the extended version of "Why Can't I Be You?"




Flashback #3: "So, act your age, not your shoe size, and maybe we can make some sense."

What is better than an iconic 80s song? How about an iconic 80s song covered by an alternative, and decidedly underground, dance-rock band from that very same era? In 1986, Age of Chance released a very special and rambunctious version of Prince's mega-hit, "Kiss." It reached #1 on the UK Indie Charts for that year. In the US, it only made a dent on the playlists of college radio and under-21 clubs, but what a dent it made!




Three shall be the recounting of Flashbacks, and the number of Flashbacks shall be three. That, my friends, is the Rule of Three as it applies to Flashbacks. As I've made my three offerings, that's all till next week. Dedicated 80s-philes can find more flashbacks in the archives. As always, your comments are welcome on today's, or any other, flashback post. And if you like what I'm doing here, please share the link with your friends. If, however, you don't like the flashback, feel free to share it with your enemies.


And if you are on Twitter, and feel so inclined, please +K my influence in Music on @klout.


I'll see you in seven!

No comments: