Sunday, December 09, 2012

25 Days of Holiday Music: Day 9



I was looking for an appropriate Holiday song for this 9th day of December which happens to be a Sunday. And I kind of wanted it to be a classic song as well. I racked my brain last evening, and just was not satisfied with anything I came up with, whether from my own collection or searching online.

And then I woke up with the perfect song in my head.

Now, today's holiday selection is not exactly a Christmas song, but because it is in the 1954 holiday classic, White Christmas, it is often considered such. White Christmas is best known for its songs by Irving Berlin, songs that were admirably performed by the stars, Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney, and Vera-Ellen. Today's selection, "Count Your Blessings (Instead of Sheep)," appears in the film as a means for Crosby's character to pass a little homespun wisdom to Clooney's Betty Haynes. And it is indeed wisdom that life is better than one might think, and you can find happiness by focusing on the good things and people in your life.

"Count Your Blessings (Instead of Sheep)" was nominated for an Academy Award as "Best Song" but did not win.





Update 12/9/2020: New video embedded. Previous one was removed from YouTube.  

No comments: