Friday, June 17, 2011

Friday 80s Flashback for June 17, 2011


[Be Fast, Be Clean, Be Cheap (part 2)] -- This week, we'll continue going through the mixtape I introduced last week (you know, the one with the same name as the theme here). I don't have much time to give you background on another playlist, but I can at least provide the tunes. So, what are the next three songs from "Be Fast, Be Clean, Be Cheap"? Read and hear more after the jump.

Star-divide
Flashback #1
"Tomorrow's light would mourn his freedom."

Our first flashback this week is the fourth track on my old mixtape. Released in 1987, this Celtic-influenced and hard-driving song tells the story of a man falsely accused of robbery and locked away. He is innocent, but he dare not speak of what he was truly doing for fear of other ramifications. Guitar virtuoso Gary Moore, who passed away in February of this year, recorded this song on his eighth solo album, Wild Frontier. I dare you to refrain from air-drumming while this one plays.





Flashback #2
"Take all the trouble that you can afford | At least you won't have time to be bored."

The fifth track on my "Be Fast" mixtape is our second flashback: "Glitch, Baby, Glitch." Unfortunately, I could not find a video for it. I could not even find a sample online. But, as it is a b-side remix for Midnight Oil's 1982 single, "Power and the Passion," I figure we can use the original tune in its place. But I must tell you, if you get the chance, add "Glitch, Baby, Glitch" to your collection. Until you do, I hope you enjoy Midnight Oil lead singer, Peter Garrett, as he lumbers around Frankenstein creature style in this vid!





Flashback #3
"Someone's got to be rich cuz someone's got to have more."

And now we finally arrive at the title track to the "Be Fast" compilation. "Be Fast, Be Clean, Be Cheap" appeared on the 1986 mini-LP recording, Crush Collision, by alt-dance-rockers Age of Chance. It was never released as a single, and maybe that is why I could not find a video for it on YouTube. But I really wanted to share it with you, so I uploaded one of my own. Well, it's not much of a video -- it's just picture of the record sleeve with the song playing in the background. Oh, the things I do for my 80s-philes!






Once again, I remind you that the rule of three applies when doing Flashbacks. As I've made my three offerings, that's all till next week. 80s-philes can find more flashbacks by visiting the archives. As always, your comments are welcome on today's, or any other, flashback post. And if you like what I'm doing here, please share the link with your friends. If you don't like the flashback, share it with your enemies.

I'll see you in seven!

No comments: