Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Lessons from Hellblazer

While I was laid up with a broken foot this summer, I fell behind in my comic book reading. I just couldn't maneuver around the store on crutches. Heck, it would have been too much of an effort to get to the store in the first place. But now I've now been off the crutches for about two weeks. So on Sunday, I stopped by and picked up my books. Fortunately, it was a short stack -- John Constantine: Hellblazer is the only title I collect on a regular basis these days. Still, it was about 3 or 4 months worth of stories, and I got to read them all in one sitting. While reading, I noticed that there are many practical lessons packaged with these tales of British occult horror. And I decided to share a few with you... John Constantine on relationships:
"If I've learned one thing about relationships, it's this: Friends believe the best about us. They need to. Because they feel what we feel. And given a choice between feeling good or feeling bad … no one's picking up the shitty stick."
Evans (supporting character in current storyline) on hiring help:
"Honestly, lackeys these days..."
John Constantine on art appreciation:
"I know a lot about art, but I don't know what I like."
And JC on work ethic:
"I was up all night grinding fairies to make this stuff."
OK. So maybe that last one doesn't actually convey a lesson. But it is laugh-out-loud funny.
Other Hellblazin' links:

No comments: