Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Wet Hands

There is a zen koan that says:
In the sea of Isé, ten thousand feet down, lies a single stone. I wish to pick up that stone without wetting my hands.
How beautiful. How utterly poetic, right? Well, I'm sorry. But the only response I have for this statement is, "Good freaking luck with that one, pal!" Which is pretty much my reaction to the whole ports issue. I cannot believe that Preznit Bush and his administration would put major U.S. ports under the control of a state-owned business in the United Arab Emirates. When I first heard about this, I assumed that either it was a mistaken report, or that the Bush Administration would come to its senses -- or at least back off this deal -- after enough objections were raisd. So now I am even more outraged that Bush is so committed to this move that he will actually "veto any bill Congress might approve to block the agreement." What is up with this?! Is this a case of rampant political correctness? Is Bush trying to invite a catastrophe so that he has "proof" for going to war with another Muslim nation (read: Iran)? In this course of action, Bush is indeed trying to lift a stone from the ocean floor without getting his hands (or his political career) all wet. But it cannot be done. His hands are going to be sopping wet. And, unfortunately, when he pulls his hands out of this one, they could very well be drenched with blood. For more on this story: Hopefully that is enough of a sampling to get you informed ... and enraged.

No comments: